Big update on craft activities

greenjumper

I worked well on the green jumper. When I finished casting off the shoulders, I immediately worked the neckband. I sewed up one shoulder seam, began sewing the other, then realised I wanted to leave part of it open so that the neck opening would not pull off my son’s ears any time he took off the jumper. As I cast on the neckband, it occurred to me that I could extend the band across the open section of the shoulder. On a previous jumper I had worked this section separately, simply because the opening was not needed until the jumper had been worn for a year or more. This approach results in the band being buttoned differently, but it does not matter (to us). It was an efficient option.

The jumper then stalled. I had not planned the sleeves. As I flicked through my graph book of past projects and transcribed patterns, I discovered I had planned a jumper for this cotton yarn, but had forgotten before I began the knitting. It was a little irritating, but I can make that pattern from wool.

During the lull, I knitted a rabbit. The pattern comes from a magazine my mother buys for its patterns that require little yarn (stashbusters, except it comes with free yarn, so tends to add to her stash). My son immediately requested a brown rabbit, so I used brown mohair, a very nice but old ball, so a stashbuster for me, but not a yarn I can recommend simply because it was discontinued decades ago. It is a very soft rabbit.

aminekoandrabbitathealesville

I finished the jumper. I made a tiny turtle, from the ‘super-super cute crochet’ book by Brigitte Read (p38, and instead of working a mouth and lower jaw, I lazily added an extra two rounds to the head). I used a scrap of the yarn remaining from the jumper. The rest will go in the crochet blanket.

crochetturtle

I bought a wonderful book, mostly for my son to read, called: ‘Hello! My Name is Amineko’ by Nekoyama. Most of the book is devoted to photos with brief captions describing the activities of the crochet cats. As I suspected, my son loves it. Of course he wanted a cat of his own, if not a family of twelve, so I obliged – with one, and a second on the way. We purchased wool at a shop that had been recommended to me a couple of times, but I don’t think I will be returning. The wool is fine, but available elsewhere, at more convenient locations with much more pleasant staff.

rabbitandamineko

I love the pattern, the way it is written. I find it very easy to follow, and all parts are worked in tubes. The author recommends ending each round, but I use the amigurumi spiral method, as when I end rounds they do not look good. When changing colour, I make a slip stitch with the new colour being pulled through the old (except I forgot to do that in the hand on the left shown below, next to the hand in which I remembered to do that).

crochetcolourchange

I liked the detailed instructions given in the back, they are certainly worth reading before commencing the crochet, and I liked the description of how to mark rounds with a thread. Although it is something I have done before, I can’t remember having seen the method in a book. I did not bother to mark rounds on the limbs and tail – they are so narrow that it would not matter if an extra half round was worked, it would not be noticed on the finished cat. The black cat was made with Millamia 4 ply (Swedish brand, Italian wool) on a 2.50 mm hook, and ended up being 21 cm (8.25 in) long. It took about 35 g/ 88 m of yarn. (I mention this because with such vague hook and yarn specifications in the book, quantities are not given, and I suspect I may have to compensate with a few stripes in one or two cats.) I am now working on a cat in some blue Rowan fine tweed on an old American crochet hook, size 1. The cat is going to be slightly smaller than the black cat.

aminekobits

We have spent a bit of time in the car lately, a trip to Bendigo, and a trip to Healesville Sanctuary. I have given up trying to knit in the car, the shape of the seat encourages rounded shoulders and it is just too uncomfortable. However, I find that I can crochet granny squares comfortably. And so much for just following a single square pattern. I am now making three different types of squares, and intend to make some larger squares too.

cottongrannies
And I did not need to worry about the lycopene enhanced tomatoes. The visitor ate the one in the rosemary bush too. I enjoyed pulling out the plants as the leaves were beginning to die, and I don’t like looking at dead tomato plants.

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s